Sunday, February 20, 2011

Feeling Thankful

This post is one I have started in my head over and over again, but have yet to put in down on paper (or on screen as the case may be). But today, I am feeling especially thankful for so many things, that I just can't seem to keep myself from writing...

It all started about 6 months ago. I was riding (something that happens much less often than I would like for it to) and this minivan stopped on the road in front of the barn. The woman driving (I am assuming) was alone. She stopped, rolled down her window, laid her arms crossed on the window ledge, and rested her head on her arms, just watching silently for probably no more than 5 minutes. My initial thought, was this is really creepy, but then I started thinking...I bet this woman used to ride, she grew up, got married, had kids, got a minivan, and has, somewhere along the way, lost herself. How lucky am I to still get this precious time for me?! I know lots of you run or go to the gym for your "me time," but I feel fairly certain your treadmill has never called out when your car pulled up; your tennis shoes have never been a constant source of support as you passed through your teenage years, got married, had children, got a minivan, and then took care of your children as they learned to ride. The bond with your horse is something I could not ever put into words and the bond I have with Senator is unlike any I have had with any other horse. He is my friend. I know he is getting older and I dread the day he is no longer with me, but he has carved a very special place in my heart and that is a space that will never be filled with anyone but him. I feel so very grateful for all that he has taught me; patience, kindness, empathy, and responsibility.

My family: Y'all I cannot tell you how thankful I am for my dear family. Annah is quite possibly the sweetest little girl in the whole world. Always thinking of others and such a wise little girl. Liam is a constant source of smiles and comic relief. The relationship I have with each of them is different but I wouldn't have it any other way. They are both going through a very affectionate stage, and I would be lying if I said the steady stream of "I love you's" was anything other than music to my ears. And Will (you didn't think I would forget you, did you), is just the best. While I wish he was home more, he is really putting in some quality time with the kids when he is here. We (just the 2 of us) got a weekend away last weekend and it so so nice for the kids to finally be at an age where we can go away for a few days and know they will be fine. (a great big thank you to the grands too, for keeping said children!). I am loving where we are in our lives right now and I love my family to pieces!

My friends: I know that I do not say it often enough, but I am so, so, so thankful for my friends. You know who you are, and you are a constant source of support and love in my life. No matter what the situation, I know there is a handful of faithful friends I can count on, no matter what. Some I talk to every day, some every month, but the relationship is just as strong and I don't know what I'd do with y'all.

Finally, I have managed to be a stay at home mom and have a career all at the same time. I am so grateful that Stella and Dot has come into my life (and Ida and Lauren too!)! I don't think I realized how much of myself I had let go after having children and to find it after losing it, makes it that much sweeter. I love that I get to contribute financially and love helping other women find what they have been looking for; whether that is to replace their full time job or to just have a night a month to devote to themselves. It has re-claimed a friendship that had lapsed and allowed me to find a self confidence in myself. I have high goals for myself through Stella and Dot and I really believe I can get there.

So, there it is, my day of thankfulness! This is not to say there is not more I am thankful for (there's my parents, my in-laws, the list could go on and on), but here it is just the same. Thank you, all of you!

No comments: