Saturday, December 6, 2008

Holiday Quirks

Emily (One is Not So Lonely) tagged me to list my 5 Holiday Quirks, so here they are:

  1. I LOVE shopping for presents for other people. This is not to say that I don't like shopping for myself, but there is something about finding the perfect present for someone that just makes my day. Ideally, I like to have the whole day and shop till I drop, however, now this requires a babysitter and then another one to get all the presents wrapped, so now it is usually done in bits and pieces.
  2. I am sad to say that I caved and got a fake tree a few years ago and sadder to admit that I like it just as much. We got one after the last real one we had fell over and broke a dozen or so ornaments. I got so scared that one would fall on a kid that we went to Lowes the next year and got an artificial one. It never dries out and is ready to go the day after Thanksgiving. I do miss the smell of a real tree though...
  3. I hate surprises. As a kid, I used to cut the tape on the presents under the tree. Unwrap them and them re-tape them back up. I also used to snoop for any unwrapped presents in the house. I don't even like to not know what other people are getting Annah and Liam. Don't know why (maybe it's about not being in control---incidentally, Emily I have the teeth dream all the time, but it is that one tooth gets turned sideways and then falls out. I have a serious phobia of loosing teeth and I dread the day that my kids start to loose their teeth). At any rate, I like to know what I am getting. Will has only surprised me one time the year Annah was born and he had to hide it at the dealership so I wouldn't find it!
  4. I am a junkie for Christmas Vacation and The Christmas Story. I have seen them both a million times and I still love them. I might go watch one now!
  5. My favorite thing is that it keeps getting better and better every year. Each year, Annah understands a little more and now Liam is ready to do the same. The joy on their faces is priceless. Christmas morning is the greatest hour of the whole year.
  6. I know, it is supposed to be 5, but one more won't hurt...There are two traditions from my childhood, that we still have to do every year. We get to open one present Christmas Eve and it is always pajamas (makes for cute Christmas morning pictures) and we have to have my mom's sausage biscuits while opening presents in the morning. Mom even had to make them and bring them over last year and I hope she does it again this year. Since she is now a vegetarian, it may be pushing my luck, but here's hoping!

No comments: