Monday, February 1, 2010

A Long Day

We had another long day with Liam in surgery today. You may remember this picture from last year when Liam had his tubes done:





Today was much worse...Liam had to go in to have his adenoids removed. He has had chronic sinus infections since we got rid of the ear infections and has a hard time breathing through his nose. His ENT said on a scale of one to four (four being the biggest) his adenoids were a four. They were, in fact, "quite beefy" (his words, not mine). Liam took a long time waking up from the anesthesia and had to stay in recovery for a couple hours as his stats kept dropping into dangerous zones. He was just miserable most of the day and it broke my heart to see him so uncomfortable and not be able to do anything about it. At one point this afternoon, he was wailing on the couch and Will and I were both in tears. I have said it before, and I will say it again: I don't know how parents manage to send their kids into surgeries on a regular basis. I know that there are parents all over the world who have to do this; their kids lives depend on surgeries and they have no choice but to watch some doctor wheel their baby away to an operating room only to find them hurting and crying after surgery. I guess you do what you have to do, but today was one of the worst things I have experienced (and I am truly grateful that this is the case) and I just don't know how you manage to repeat days like today over and over again. Thankfully, the worst seems to be behind us now. Liam is resting with the help of some narcotics and I hope tomorrow will be full of smiles.
Here is Liam and Bubba before going back. They gave him something to help him relax so he wouldn't freak out when they took him away and he was watching toonies.


1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hi! I found your blog from Laura's. I can't imagine one of my little ones going into surgery. How scary! I hope he is feeling better very soon!